Thursday, May 28, 2020

Heartless Helen by Penhaligons

Today, I deliberately reached into the pile I'd made for me. This is a pile of perfumes that I stretched myself to get, as most are very feminine and I tend to lean unisex, but it appears that the husband does like me to smell like a lady now and then so I decided to give these a try.

Besides, I thought it would be fun to watch how he would respond to smelling like a flower. So.

According to Luckyscent, the notes for this are: mandarin orange, tuberose, creamy woods

This goes on with a mighty dose of "HI! I'm TUBEROSE!" but in the creamy way that tuberose can make you question what you are smelling. Is it sweet? Is it creamy? Is it a gardenia? A urinal puck? Something else?

As it dries, the tuberose softens some, allowing the creamy woods to come forward (although it's, to me, less woods and more creamy/white floral mixed with something that may at moments come across like rosewood). Every now and then, there's a faint citrusy vibe that I am going to say is the mandarin orange (but that's a really optimistic claim from what I'm smelling on my skin).

When I sniffed it on my husband, there is more of a soft sandalwood-esque essence that comes through, and I do like how his skin picks up more of the wood note, but overall this is pretty mild in the wood department, and very very tuberose (without the rubber tire, intense blast that I tend to appreciate, and much more soft and reminiscent of gardenia).

It's pretty. I would never be able to get away with it on a muggy summer day here in the south though. It sits on my skin and humidity would turn it into a smothering blanket of nope. However, I can see this being a bright pick-me-up in the dark dull days of winter, where you need something cheerful, comforting, and, dare I say, pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment