Monday, May 6, 2013

Arcana: Bonfires at Dusk

I was going to do a new review today, but I find myself longing for one of my favorite perfumes from Arcana: Bonfires at Dusk. So, I'm pulling up my old review and will add to it.

The description from Arcana: "Woodsmoke, sweet beeswax, Oregon lavender, sandalwood, charred juniper, and the scent of swiftly appearing stars."

As soon as I saw the description for this, I knew I had to have it. I am such a Scent Hussy when it comes to smoky perfumes. Some break my heart, some annoy me, but most make me fall in love. And I do fall in love, over and over again. Add the lavender, the beeswax, and sandalwood, and I am there!

Here's my old review: This one is woody and sweet and the lavender is definitely present, but it's softened by the charred juniper. I don't quite have the woodsmoke yet, but when I close my eyes I get the bonfires at dusk vibe. It feels like I'm on the edge of the ocean and the forest, and we just pulled some pine down to burn to keep warm as the night creeps in. As it dries down further, I am getting some of that smoke. Love. Love. So different than other scents I've tried. It has a depth to it, but it retains some lightness—the same way a sunset mingles both dark and light. This one sweetens up on the skin after a few hours. I cannot stop sniffing this one when it's on me. Really different, fun, and lovely.

My updated thoughts:

In the bottle this is very herbal--strong on fresh picked lavender (and I have three lavender bushes I've been pruning recently, so I have a good comparison)--with the juniper adding to the green herbal vibe (almost mentholish). Under it all lies a bit of campfire smoke and the warm waxy edge of beeswax.

On my skin: Everything I got in the bottle immediately opens up and expands on my skin. The juniper gets stronger here--almost like rubbing juniper branches between my fingers--and gives this a pine vibe, then it begins to drop down to hold on as a steady herbed/pine base. I get the charred note with this as it drops down, and the charred part gives this a bit of sweetness that rides with the sweetness from the lavender. The lavender is less bracing than in the bottle, and it immediately begins to soften and open on the skin.

As it dries: On my left wrist, the beeswax is rising and threading through the other notes. On my right, I get tangy/piney juniper branches with smoke. I get more sandalwood on my right arm--a sweet smooth sandalwood that is probably adding to the smoky quality.

As it dries further: My left arm is a mix of juniper, lavender, and beeswax. Threading through that is a beautiful whiff of pure campfire smoke--no plastic bottles, no dinner plates, no paper to mar the essence of burning trees. My right arm is starting to amp the beeswax and lavender, giving this a sweet herbal edge.

Final dry down: The smoke has come up beautifully on my skin, but it's a polite smoke--not too acrid, pungent with a sweet thread, and evocative of campfires in the distance. The lavender in this comes across as pure and unmuddied. The sandalwood adds to the charred juniper note and gives this a bit of a subtle kick. The beeswax is sweetness and wax. People who are afraid of honey notes should not fear this one. This is more the sweetness of honey without honey, added with the wax note of the hive. The longer this is on my skin, the sweeter and softer it gets, and the more beautiful it becomes.

I know this scent won't be for everyone. It's a little too pungent for people who only want fruity florals. It's a little too sweet for those who only want herbal or woody scents. But for me? Yeah, it's perfect.

When I close my eyes, I still get the sense of sunset on a chilly day at the ocean. We've piled driftwood onto the bonfire. We've tipped our heads back so we can see the first glimmer of stars as the sun drops behind the water. There's comfort here, comfort and love and laughter. All in one little bottle.


No comments:

Post a Comment